Sex Trafficking Awareness with Guardian Group
- Indicators that EMT/Fire can be looking for
- Best Practices
- What to do if you see potential trafficking at work and what to do if you aren't at work
- GG - who we are, what we do
- Why don't victims run?
- Why isn't this being taught in the school system?
- How do I know it is trafficking and not someone choosing sex work?
- What do I do if I'm working with a patient and I know she is in trouble but she doesn't want to get out?
- How do I protect my kid online?
- Less than 20% of LE has had human trafficking training - 2015
- This is hiding in plain sight not in the shadows
- Grooming can take 2 days to 4 months
- Victims don’t run because they’re in survival mode
- Stockholm syndrome
- Trauma bonding
- Frontal cortex – not fully developed, decision making is fueled by the emotional brain
- What tools do you recommend for monitoring?
- Bark app – monitors their access
- Life 360 – puts a geo bubble around them
Things to Look for:
- Not in control of their personal items
- Multiple phones, toys, sex items
- Their story sounds very inconsistent or repetitive
- Hostile and not wanting medical attention
- Mattresses on the floor, lack of furniture, more people living in a space
- A lot of security that feels really unusual
- Substance abuse…..or not
- Tattoos are used as brands – crown, $, name of pimp
- Injuries in various stages of healing
- Big avoidance of eye contact
- Hanging with someone who is really controlling
- Bottom 'Bitch' – recruits, controls the other girls
Content Creator: Steve Williams
CAPCE Course Number: 21-EMTP-F3-4321
Total CE Hours: 1
Level: Basic Operations
EMT-CE uses the NEMSES guidelines as the foundation for every course outline.